Rare, medium or well done. Who can resist a perfectly charred steak? Paleo, gluten free, low carb, protein packed and absolutely mouthwatering!
Remember the three golden rules of cooking steak. First, ensure your steak is at room temperature so that it cooks evenly and stays tender. Next, your frypan must be at a medium – high heat to seal the surface, create a beautiful char and trap in the juices. Lastly, you must allow the steak to rest after cooking to relax the muscle fibres and allow the juices to settle.
Chimichurri is one of my all time favourite steak sauces because it packs a powerful South American flavour punch. It is great for those on a detox as it is dairy and gluten free and vegan friendly too. This is caveman food at it’s best. Enjoy!
- Chimichurri Sauce
- 100mL extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Pinch of cracked pepper
- 4 x 200g steaks of your choice
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a food processor or Thermomix (5 sec/speed 5) and blitz to combine. Set aside.
- Drizzle oil on steaks and rub to coat. Season with sea salt and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron frypan over high heat. Place the steaks on the pan and sizzle until nicely charred for about 4 minutes on each side for a medium steak. Cook for longer if you prefer well done.
- Remove from heat and let steak rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak and spoon chimichurri sauce on top.