Tzatziki is a traditional Greek dip served with grilled meats or as a condiment in gyros. Every Greek household has their own version of the perfectly creamy tzatziki. I love the final addition of finely chopped dill to add zest and extra depth of flavour.
Ensure you purchase a good quality thick and creamy natural Greek yoghurt. The Dodoni brand is great for both natural Greek yoghurt and feta. If you purchase a runnier yoghurt you can suspend it in a cheesecloth for a few hours to drain off the water to achieve a thicker, creamier consistency.
- 400g natural Greek thick yoghurt
- 1 large lebanese cucumber, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs shredded dill
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Slice cucumber in two lengthways and remove seeds with spoon. Grate and then squeeze excess liquid out firmly with your hands.
- Combine cucumber, yoghurt, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, dill and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and dill.