This refreshingly light salad can be eaten on its own or as an accompaniment to grilled fish or meats. Haloumi was always a fridge staple when I was a little girl. Every Greek kid grew up on this salty, squeaky and wonderfully versatile cheese. My kids have inherited my obsession for warm pan fried haloumi straight off the grill.
You can prepare the salad vegetables earlier when entertaining, but pan fry the haloumi just before serving to avoid the cheese going soggy. The vibrancy of the pink pomegranate seeds against the golden cheese not only looks beautiful, but tastes delicious too.
Fennel, Haloumi & Pomegranate Salad
Serves: Serves 4-6.
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 small baby cos lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 200g haloumi, sliced thickly
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
- Combine fennel, lettuce, shallots and celery in a bowl.
- Heat frypan over medium heat, drizzle with oil and pan fry haloumi for 1 minute until golden. Remove.
- Scatter salad leaves with grilled haloumi and pomegranate seeds.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and drizzle over salad. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply