Nothing pleases a hungry crowd like an iconic Aussie sausage roll. You no longer have to ‘opt out’ of this party favourite with my mouthwatering gluten free Pork, Apple & Sage version. The fragrant combination of apple and sage work beautifully in this moist pork filling encased in my flaky and buttery gluten free rough puff pastry. Homemade gluten free rough puff pastry sounds daunting but I promise it is quick and easy to prepare and a gazillion times better than any store bought gluten free pastry I have every tasted. You will never look back.
The beauty of this sausage roll mince mixture is that it can also be rolled into little patties and pan fried for tasty pork rissoles if you wish to go grain free. Only use a full fat pork mince (not low fat) to ensure your sausage mixture remains moist. Full fat mince is also important because peppery anise sage loves fatty meat, that is why sage is so prevalent in hearty rustic Italian food.
If you are preparing the sausage rolls for a party they can be made ahead , frozen and popped in a hot oven once hungry guests arrive. I hate being stuck in the kitchen when entertaining so I try and choose party dishes that can be pre prepared where possible.
Kids and adults will go crazy for these gourmet sausage rolls. They are insanely delicious and crammed with big flavours. Enjoy!
- Sausage Filling
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbs sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 500g full fat pork mince
- 1 granny smith apple, grated
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tbs sea salt flakes
- Pinch of cracked pepper
- Pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
- Rough Puff Pastry Gluten Free Recipe
- Beaten egg for brushing
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- To make the sausage filling heat a frypan on medium heat. Add oil and onion and sauté for 5 minutes until onion softens. Add sage and stir for two minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place pork mince, apple, egg, salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg and cooled onion mixture in a bowl. Mix thoroughly with clean hands.
- To assemble cut gluten free rough puff pastry into three portions and roll each portion into a long rectangular strip.
- Place a strip of sausage filling along length of pastry. Brush long pastry edge with beaten egg and roll over to seal. Brush top of pastry with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut along roll in 5cm intervals.
- Place rolls on lined baking tray, seal down. Cook for 35 minutes in a 200C fan forced oven until golden brown. Serve with your favourite sauce.