Congratulations! You have finally discovered the world’s best gluten free pizza recipe after years and years of searching for a great, thin, crispy crust that doesn’t taste like soggy cardboard. On my long and challenging journey to develop a fantastic gluten free pizza recipe I tried every combination out there – cauliflower, polenta, packet mixes. They were all horrible and immediately binned. Eating out the situation was even more dire because most restaurants serve the same bland, frozen gluten free pizza base that requires a chainsaw to slice through.
The good news is your search for delicious gluten free pizza ends here. I guarantee this is THE BEST, TASTIEST, CRISPIEST, MOST INSANELY DELICIOUS gluten free pizza you will ever try. It honestly tastes better than regular pizza, even my gluten enabled friends request it.
Unlike conventional pizza recipes which require you to roll out a stretchy ball of dough to form the base, in this recipe your base will look like thick cake batter. The first step is to pre-bake your bases by spreading the batter onto the pizza trays in a circular motion using a spatula. When the batter hits a hot oven it magically transforms into a beautiful, thin crust ready to be dressed with your favourite toppings. We eat homemade pizza regularly so I pre-bake a batch of bases, freeze them and then conveniently thaw them for pizza night. Most of the work has already been done so this is a perfect quick and easy weeknight meal option.
My kids love a classic margherita pizza so this is the recipe I have specified below but you can be as creative as you like. Anything tastes amazing on this mouthwatering, thin, crispy crust. Welcome back to the world of delicious pizza. Bellissimo!
- 520g or 4 cups plain gluten free flour*
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 750mL water
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Napoletana Sauce
- 700g bottle tomato passata
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Mozzarella cheese as desired
- Basil to garnish
- * I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 plain baking flour
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line 4 x 30cm round pizza trays with baking paper.
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and xantham gum to a mixing bowl and blend for a few seconds to combine dry ingredients.
- Add oil and water and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes or in a Thermomix for 1 min/speed 6. Your dough will look like a thick cake batter, not a firm ball of dough.
- Divide batter amongst 4 pizza trays by placing a large dollop of batter in the centre of each tray. Using a spatula spread the batter in a circular motion until a thin round pizza base is formed.
- Pre-bake bases for 15 min until crisp. Remove bases from oven and cool. At this point you can store extra bases that you won’t be cooking in the fridge for a week or freezer for a month.
- Prepare the Napoletana sauce by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Spread sauce over bases and sprinkle with mozzarella or your favourite toppings.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a 240C conventional or pizza oven. Garnish with basil to serve.