My kids are obsessed with crispy crumbed chicken so I decided to give it a healthy gluten free makeover with my Baked Quinoa Crumbed Chicken recipe. You heard correctly, BAKED NOT FRIED. All the crispiness, all the tenderness, all the deliciousness of crispy chicken without the mess, oil or fat of its fried counterpart. Every parent MUST HAVE THIS RECIPE. Quick, healthy, easy and yummy. I promise you’ll be baking this quinoa crumbed chicken weekly for your family just like I do.
Quinoa flakes are a great gluten free ingredient for crumbing because they are high in fibre, protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Quinoa flakes are just the whole quinoa seed flattened into a flake so they have a shorter cooking time than regular quinoa with all the health benefits.
Here are my tips to get your baked chicken pieces nice and crispy-
- Grease your baking tray with olive oil before placing the chicken on the tray. The hot tray will crisp up the base of the chicken without any need to turn the chicken pieces.
- Ensure your oven is nice and hot at 220C. The chicken does not take long to cook so you want to develop that golden crust quickly. Drizzle a little oil over the top of the chicken pieces once placed on the tray to help develop that golden colour and crisp texture.
- Flatten your chicken pieces with the palm of your hand prior to coating to create a wider surface area. Flatter, wider pieces will crisp up more against the heat of the metal baking tray.
- When coating the chicken in the quinoa mixture press it firmly into the mixture to ensure a nice thick coating of flaked crumb.
I love serving quinoa crumbed chicken with my delicious homemade Lime Aioli, but it is equally yummy dipped in ketchup or mustard. Say goodbye to greasy, fatty fried chicken and say hello to nutritious and utterly delicious quinoa crumbed gluten free chicken. Best part? Your family will have no idea this crumbed chicken recipe is healthy. So finger lickin’ good!
- 800g organic chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups quinoa flakes
- ⅓ cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Lime aioli to serve or your favourite sauce
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Combine dry ingredients in a tray and whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Individually dip each chicken piece into the beaten eggs and then coat in the dry quinoa mixture by firmly pressing the chicken into the coating.
- Grease an oven tray with olive oil and place chicken pieces on tray. Drizzle chicken with a little extra oil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.